Saturday, March 28, 2009

Welcome: Writing a letter with the CAS Letterhead

I frequently get asked how to do things with a computer. Another question that I get frequently asked about is if something can be done at all. And frequently, because only I know how to do it in my circle of acquaintances, friends or colleagues, I end up doing them.
You might ask, "How about teaching them how to do it?"
I would say, "I wish."
Unfortunately, faculty have really such a bad workload (when I say 'bad,' I mean very busy) that they end up asking me to do something instead of them studying how to do it.
And studying takes only a few clicks with the mouse or with the keyboard.
And what is worse is that these things they ask me to do are actually routine (READ: Repeated frequently) so they ask me to do it not only once, but every time it has to be done.
Take a look at this example.
Someone writes a letter. The person writes the inside address, the greeting, the body, and the closing. Good, right?
Unfortunately, because letter is written by a person as a member of an organization--for example, the College--instead of them printing it, they would send the letter to me, who would then have to download it, edit it with the letterhead template, and then print it.
What does the letterhead contain?
The primary organization, the main unit, part of the address, images of the organization's logo, and reference line. Is that so hard to do?
I remember when I entered the University--there was an exam for use of computer. Is it different when you become a faculty?
Do they expect faculty not to know how to use computers, and just specialize in their field? I don't think so.
Well, unfortunately, the situation I gave earlier is--while usual--not simple. Obviously, I have my own tasks that I have to finish. Accommodating their requests is a balancing act that frequently compromises my own priorities. It is difficult to say no when what they ask seems easy to them (and actually easy for me) but takes time to accomplish for me. Either their task gets not finished or my priorities gets screwed up. The dichotomy of important versus urgent is lost because what is important to me is not of any matter to them. They think that I am here to serve their interest, when in fact it is their responsibility to learn the technology for their own students.
What could be done?
There has to be a way out of this.
So, here. I put up this blog, hopefully, to document frequently done technical tasks that you may not know.
So, if you have a question on how to do things with a computer or the Internet, or if something in your overly active and imaginative head is possible, just post the question here. I will try to answer them.
For starters, let's start with a simple task: Writing a letter with the College Letterhead.
Actually, this requires no more than 1 step: Download the link that is available here. Select which one applies: Are you using Microsoft Word, or OpenOffice.Org 3.0.1? (The files are uploaded in Faura Online's Reference Files section.)
Make sure to right-click and select "Save Link As" if you're using Mozilla Firefox or "Save Target As" if you're using Internet Explorer.
If you do not know which program you are using, look at the upper part of this screen, select "Help" and see if it says "About Mozilla Firefox" or "About Internet Explorer."
If you are using a different software (the name after "About" is neither Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer), try to guess which one has the same function as downloading it.
If the language of this post sounds too offensive or too instructive (is that correct?) to you, fine. Ask someone else who can help you and not feel frustrated after asking the same thing over and over... again.
If you have further questions, ask. Click the link here that says, "I have a question" at the right of the page. I'll post your question for the benefit of others who are embarrassed of asking but are also dying to know.
Don't worry. I post the name (heheheh!). I post the name that you type, and I don't really care what you type. What is important is that the question is asked, and it gets answered.
There is an email address required. This is for me to notify you if I have already answered your question. When I have done that, you'll get an canned email saying, "It is finished." Or something like that. :)
Lastly, don't be shy to be a follower. :D Join the CAS Multiply Site!
Til next.
P.S. This introduction is not a complaint.

No comments:

Post a Comment